For the past few years now, as I have traveled, I have seen a wide array of people living on the streets. Tiny thai men living in tents on top of metals roofs down an ally in Bangkok , legless men in Antigua Guatemala who sweep the walk ways to former anthropology students who started out living on the street as a social experiment then ending up liking it.

This is a collection of men and women who I have interviewed over a nice lunch. I've always struggled with just giving money to these people, so I started taking these people out to lunch in exchange for an interview and some photos. Here is their story:

Tuesday, March 18, 2008



I find it interesting how quickly we forget our foundation. Albion is a little town about 20 miles outside of Burley Idaho. Nothing special about it on the outside besides a clique diner in the heart of town that is the hot spot not because of a lack of things to do, but because it has some of the best damn burgers this side of the snake river.

Places like this seem to get lost in translation as time goes on. I would have never known that a greater part of the generation that founded Idaho attended the bulk of the schooling here in this po dunk little town.

I was hired to take some photos of it in the process of being renovated into a resort spot. How terribly depressing is that? I saw where my Great Grandparents washed dishes to put themselves through college for a teaching degree, where they slept, and where they attended class. All that I saw were crude spray painted images of male genitalia and curse words on the interior, and half burned foundations and rotting lawns on the exterior.

It will be interesting to see what happens with it when all is said and done. Whether or not it will help out the economy that currently is about as active as a morbidly obese Aphrodisiac who wants it's but is too fat to get it. Or if it will just keep getting fatter and fatter, until the desire melts away into nothing.

3 comments:

Cool Waters said...

Wait...did you go to, well, I can't remember the name of it. But I have pictures in my facebook profile. My family went to the old college in Albion to stay at the one renovated building! Then, we got a nice tour of the old scary buildings and the little museum. Was that where you were?

Jeffrey Costello said...

that would be the one. when did you go?

Cool Waters said...

We went July 26th - July 30th this year.