For the past few years now, as I have traveled, I have seen a wide array of people living on the streets. Tiny thai men living in tents on top of metals roofs down an ally in Bangkok , legless men in Antigua Guatemala who sweep the walk ways to former anthropology students who started out living on the street as a social experiment then ending up liking it.

This is a collection of men and women who I have interviewed over a nice lunch. I've always struggled with just giving money to these people, so I started taking these people out to lunch in exchange for an interview and some photos. Here is their story:

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Jackson 09'

I Have heard of Jackson hole in myths and legends and being a watering hole for the adventure seeker who is also looking for good summer money... these be not myths or nor legends, i say unto thee they be truth!

That is of course if you live in a van.



I saved nearly 2000 dollars this summer with this little investment. One thing that the legends dont talk about is how grossly overpriced rent is. Got this beaut from the Salt Lake City School district for 300 bucks. Tore everything out and made it my home.



I think the best part about it was my job. I worked as a photographer at Spring Creek Ranch, a super ritzy resort on top of a hill with the best view of the tetons as well as Jackson Hole.

With that, sometimes i would be up taking photos of guests riding horses when torrents of rain would come out of no where, like those rashes on your arms after riding the subway in Chicago. Anyways, the last thing these really really rich people want to do is ride all the way down in the rain and hail, so i would offer my home to these good people. Imagine someone who is paying 800 dollars a night for a room at this palce climbing into my van and seeing a bed, coffee table, love seat, bookself, framed photos on the wall, painted walls, carpeted floors and good feelings all in one small cargo van.

Needless to say it was amusing to tell them to wipe there feet before they came into the living room.

And this:



No comments: